Tuesday 20 November 2007

Arsenal Team and Transfer News



- Arsenal major shareholder Alisher Usmanov admits he dropped interest in Manchester United and turned to the Gunners over the football Arsene Wenger's team plays.

The Uzbek billionaire told the Guardian: It is well documented that I am a lifelong football fan. My love of the British game started with the 1966 World Cup. I started watching Arsenal about eight years ago, principally because of Arsene Wenger and the football played under him. I consider him to be a genius and way ahead of any manager in his views on the sport.

"I have seen Arsenal in action many times and particularly enjoyed the teams that combined the steel of Viera with the delightful attacking talents of Henry, Bergkamp and Pires. We look at many things in life, but my heart was always for Arsenal and that is where I wanted to invest when the opportunity arose."



- Arsenal won't stand aside and allow Chelsea to sign Dinamo Zagreb ace Luka Modric without a fight.

The Sun says Chelsea and Arsenal are locked in a £30million scrap for Modric - after the Croatian superstar revealed he wants to move to England in January.

The Dinamo Zagreb midfielder said: "I'd love to play in the Premiership. I'd like things to happen soon and it's possible maybe even this winter.

"It would be a great challenge for me. It's for sure one of the best leagues in the world."

Modric, 22, who plays against England at Wembley tomorrow, added: "I don't have a preference for a club. There are a few big clubs in England where I would love to play."



- Arsenal wing wizard Theo Walcott sees his long-term position as striker and admits ambitions to succeeding Michael Owen in England's attack.

Walcott told the Sunday Mirror: "Hopefully I can take over from Michael in the future - you never know. I haven't thought about it a lot really but I'm feeling as strong now as I've ever felt and the fact that I'm playing more games is giving me confidence. I'm getting my touch back now after a period when I didn't really play for a long time.

"I feel absolutely fantastic at the moment but I am working on becoming more aggressive. I don't mean kicking players. I mean showing that aggression to run at players.

I want them to see the back of my shirt. I have been doing a lot of work in the gym and I am using my shoulder, which was injured, to hold off players.

"I want to start more for Arsenal, keep my place in the team and then see what happens at England level. I'm still 18 and I need to keep learning my trade."



- Arsenal ace Cesc Fabregas says he loved playing for Spain at the Santiago Bernabeu in Saturday's victory over Sweden, but insists it won't tempt him to join Real Madrid.

After the 3-0 win, Cesc said: "The atmosphere was magnificent, I noticed the fans were happy and it is a field that we like because we always produce good results there.

"But I know nothing else will happen, for that reason I'll repeat what I've said before - I'm very happy at Arsenal, very grateful to the club and (Arsene) Wenger. They're the most important thing for me now and I want the rumours about Real Madrid or Barcelona to end."



- Arsenal's Justin Hoyte admits he is going through a tough time at present, but is fully prepared to 'knuckle down' to earn a place in The Gunners' starting XI.

Hoyte has voiced his determination to stick with the North Londoners, and he is ready to take his chance should one present itself.

"Of course I want to stay at the club and fight," he told the club's official website.

"I want to be an Arsenal player. You never know what can happen in football but I know I am going to knuckle down, train hard, work hard and perform when I get my chance.

"It is tough at the moment because the team is doing so well and a few players are not getting into the team. It's up to us to take our chance if there is an injury.

"It is frustrating but I am a professional and need to behave that way and focus on the job in hand."

Up The Gunners!

No comments: