Monday 10 December 2007

Arsenal Team and Transfer News



- Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia has again put his hand up for England.


The Spaniard is a year away from becoming a British citizen and, having never represented Spain at any level, the 30-year-old would become eligible to play for England.


"I would never close the door on people who have shown me so much affection," he told Spanish newspaper El Mundo.


"If I can lend England a hand once the time comes for me to be eligible - and I want to thank the country for the support it has shown me - I don't see why I shouldn't play for them. I don't rule it out."




- Arsenal star Manu Adebayor has revealed he's added several kilos to his frame in recent months.

The Togo striker, 23, admits he struggled to live up to his £7million price tag when he arrived at Arsenal from Monaco in January last year.


But extra training has seen him claim the title of a heavyweight striker in the top flight with eight goals.

"I needed to do something," said Adebayor, now 13.5st. "I needed to build up my muscles to take the blows. You have to in England.

"When I got going, I was a lot more powerful. There is no comparison with before. Here, you don't take creatine, only vitamins to recuperate. But we work twice as much.


"I had to progress. I used to take two metres to control the ball. But now the fans are seeing a new Adebayor."




- Robin van Persie is returning to Arsenal training this week.


"Van Persie and Abou Diaby are not far," boss Arsene Wenger told arsenal.com.


"From this week they will be back in normal training."


However Wenger added that a return against Steaua Bucharest on Wednesday "looks early".

"We have to see how he [Van Persie] responds to contact training," the Frenchman went on. "Don't forget he has been out for seven or eight weeks and has had no contact until now so we might have to be a little bit patient."



- Veteran midfielder Gilberto insists he is determined to take any chance that comes his way after admitting he is keen to stay at Arsenal.

The Brazilian made what was only his fourth Premier League start of the campaign at Newcastle on Wednesday night.


Gilberto, 31, has been linked with a move away from Emirates Stadium during the transfer window, but is determined to make the most of whatever chances come his way.


"It is nice to get a chance to play a full game but of course I am doing the best I can to get back in the team," Gilberto told the club's official website.


"I will see what happens but of course I want to play in the first XI and I will do my best to achieve that."


The 2002 World Cup winner added: "A big squad is important. At the moment we have a few injuries, but we have other players who can do a great job.


"The manager needs to change the team in some positions but we keep the same spirit and the same way of playing."


- Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says Newcastle United's performance in Wednesday night's 1-1 draw was just like watching Bolton Wanderers.


He said: "It was exactly the same type of organisation and the same type of play, very direct, very committed and in a 4-3-3.


"You could feel before the game there was a crisis. I anticipated a different game because you could see that no matter if there were differences within the club, it looked like they had made a real union to win this game and fight.


"I must say on their side, everyone was on board because everyone in their team did fight like mad for 90 minutes.


"They made a fight of it and that's why they got a point from it."



Up The Gunners!

No comments: